Saturday 10 November 2012

The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett

The Uncommon Reader [Book]
'The Uncommon Reader' by Alan Bennett

The Uncommon Reader is none other than the Queen who drifts accidentally into reading when her corgis stray into a mobile library parked at Buckingham Palace. She takes her first book because she feels like she should as she doesn't want to upset the librarian. Her views of the world and those around her soon change. Those around her don't like her reading and try to get her to stop.

Very disappointing, I only stuck with it as it had been chosen for my village book club. I found the whole book dull and wanted to gave up before finishing it but as it was only a small book (thankfully!) I did finish it. I had read that it gave the reader a insight into the reading habits of the queen, but I doubt that, as I guess the queen is probably quite well read, she is certainly no fool as it came across in the book. I did not laugh once, I can't really see the point of the book.

I expected more. Would not recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment