Friday 16 November 2012

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood


'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood

The story is told by Offred (not her real name as that was taken away from her).
A religious group called the Sons of Jacob has recently overthrown the United States government. Offred (in her previous name) has been arrested for being married to a divorced man, which is now illegal. She and her husband, Luke, were arrested while trying to escape the country on fake passports with their daughter. Their daughter has been given away to an elite, childless family. As Offred can conceive children (birth rate has diminished), she has been sent to a Re-Education Centre, to be trained for her new role as a Handmaids. In the centre, know as the Red Centre, they are brainwashed into submission to their new role by a group of women called Aunts, where they are taught to believe that its their fault that society was so bad and that men are blameless. Her new role as a Handmaid is to bear children for elite, childless families. These Handmaid's are given the name of the man - commander they are to serve, bear children too. The are made to wear outfits which is modest and entirely red except for a white, winged bonnet. Offred discovers a message from the previous Handmaid carved into her closet, "Don't let the bastards grind you down." This story is about her life and how Offred becomes friends with another Handmaid, Ofglen, her only companion on her daily shopping trips. This is a very harsh time, were beatings and killings take place, if you are found or even suspected of being an non-believer. There is a lot more to this book; government spy's called the Eyes, jealous wife's of the commanders, the unseen life of women who are no good to bear children - a underground hotel, Mayday and so much more. Is this going to be her life until she no longer can bear children? Following her story, the ending part of the book is a historian's speech, in which they try to authenticate the Handmaid's Tale.

This was a book that I wouldn't have chosen for myself - it was one of this years village book club books. I have to say I was dreading reading this, I just kept thinking, please be better than 'Brave New World' (both are about an altered furture). 


Well I loved this book. My feelings went out to Offred through her ordeals and trials, and this feeling of involvement made the story truly thought provoking. The story makes you think about what life could be like if this kind of society actually existed/took over our western way of life. I couldn't wait to find out what happened, I couldn't put the book down - I was gripped. Reference the ending, I have read a few reviews about how they were disappointed with the ending, there was not enough closure. But I liked that, (I finished the book a few months ago) it still gets me thinking about what happened to her - I've been allowed to finish the story for her, and I've made up a few so far!!

Would highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment