Tuesday 26 March 2013

Voyager by Diana Gabaldon




'Voyager' by Diana Gabaldon

Their passionate encounter happened long ago by whatever measurement Claire Randall took. Two decades before, she had traveled back in time and into the arms of a gallant eighteenth-century Scot named Jamie Fraser. Then she returned to her own century to bear his child, believing him dead in the tragic battle of Culloden. Yet his memory has never lessened its hold on her... and her body still cries out for him in her dreams.

Then Claire discovers that Jamie survived. Torn between returning to him and staying with their daughter in her own era, Claire must choose her destiny. And as time and space come full circle, she must find the courage to face the passion and pain awaiting her...the deadly intrigues raging in a divided Scotland... and the daring voyage into the dark unknown that can reunite—or forever doom—her timeless love.

Review

This is the third book of the Outlander series, and what a great third book. I just loved how Diana Gabaldon takes Claire on the next stage of her journey to find her true love Jamie. This story follows the two finding each other again and the next stage in the lives - being together.

The beginning of the book switches back and forth between 1746 in Scotland with Jamie Fraser's post-war life and 1968 in Scotland with Claire, Brianna and Roger Wakefield undertaking the historical search for traces of Jamie Fraser and what might have become of him after the war. I know this style of writing moving from one time to another irritates some but for me, I think it is what helps makes the book so good, we are not left feeling we are missing what is happening in both times - we get the whole story. We learn through Brianna, Jamie's daughter when she finds proof of Jamie's life as a printer in Edinburgh years after the battle at Culloden. Knowing this Claire makes a hard decision to step back through the stone circle of Craigh na Dun, going back into the 18th century to find Jamie.

I loved the reunion between Claire and Jamie, finding each other again. They have little time together before being thrown back into the life of danger, mystery and mayhem! The story follows their journey back to Jamie's childhood home, which has a few shocks in store for Claire, their journey to West Indies in a rescue attempt meeting a few old characters and making new friends along their way to their new life in Colonies.

I have not tired so far of the story of Claire and Jamie. I love how Diana Gabaldon has brought back characters throughout the books and helped me understand why/what and how, she hasn't left me wondering, she talks through all the details which I have really enjoyed. This book is my favourite of the three so far, the first two had me laughing and crying throughout, gripped all the way through, this was the same, I just couldn't put the book down (probably good job I was in hospital while reading Voyager and had nothing to do but read - if not I think no one in my house would have been feed!!). Can't wait to start Drums of Autumn.

I most certainly recommend this series. Its full of adventure, time-travel and romance. A must read!

- Posted using BlogPress

No comments:

Post a Comment