Tuesday 5 March 2013

Sister by Rosamund

'Sister' by Rosamund
 
Nothing can break the bond between sisters ...

When Beatrice gets a frantic call in the middle of Sunday lunch to say that her younger sister, Tess, is missing, she boards the first flight home to London. But as she learns about the circumstances surrounding her sister's disappearance, she is stunned to discover how little she actually knows of her sister's life - and unprepared for the terrifying truths she must now face.

The police, Beatrice's fiance and even their mother accept they have lost Tess but Beatrice refuses to give up on her. So she embarks on a dangerous journey to discover the truth, no matter the cost.

This book was recommended to my by my friend Frances for my bookclub choice. This is Rosamund Lupton's debut novel and for a first novel I thought overall it was a good read. The novel flicks between Beatrice (Bee) having a conversation and re-telling her story to a lawyer, and a letter she is writing to her sister Tess. I didn't mind the writing style that the athour uses, but a few at bookclub didn't like this style and found it very irritating, going between a conversation/letter writing/emails.

I did enjoy how the story moved along with Bee, with her telling the story on how she carried out her own detective work, to discover what really happened to her sister. I enjoyed how the athour looked into Tess's life and included a number of characters who Bee believed could have been the possible murder of Tess. There was a number of unexpected twists and turns that had me second guessing all the way the book (until I realised who the murder was). There is one scene in the park, that had me; shouting at the book/going, whats going on/giving Bee advice, before I realised actually what was going on.

It is hard to say too much about the book without giving things away, as I really don't like spoiling story lines for others but I do want to say something about the ending without telling you the story. For a few in bookclub they hated the ending as it does leave you going 'WHAT!' 'SO IS SHE OR ISN'T SHE!'. I myself found this a little, NO I WANT TO KNOW!. So to help with this, the athour says that she 'leaves it up to the reader to decide whether she suruives, but her own personal opinion is that she does!'. I didn't like this twist at the end as I felt a little disappointed by it, but overall the book kept me reading with the want to know 'Who did it!!'.

An easy read, overall enjoyable and would recommend but wont be my number one book for this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment