Thursday 6 December 2012

One Day by David Nicholls


'One Day' by David Nicholls

15th July 1988. Emma and Dexter meet for the first time on the night of their graduation. Tomorrow they must go their separate ways.
So where will they be on this one day next year?
And the year after that? And every year that follows?
Twenty years, two people, ONE DAY.

I'm really not sure about this book, I did overall enjoy it, sometimes not being able to put it down but at other times found it boring, long winded and I would start drifting. The story idea of catching up on the lives of two characters I did enjoy, but I found I came to dislike the character Dexter who throughout most of the book is an alcoholic, heavy drug user, selfish and an idiot. He treats Emma his friend - who loves him - really bad. But in the end love is found for both with each other. This was a book chosen by me for my army book club, where most really enjoyed the book and a few were shocked by the ending (Emma's) but having watched the movie I knew what to expect. Throughout the book, I did feel for both Dexter and Emma though, as they find that life doesn't always turn out how they expected - a lesson to be learned.

So would I recommend? Yes I think, but maybe when you've read all those others books you wanted first!!

No comments:

Post a Comment