Tuesday 29 January 2013

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger


The Time Traveler's Wife by Audey Niffenegger
 
This is the extraordinary love story of Clare and Henry who met when Clare was six and Henry was thirty-six, and were married when Clare was twenty-two and Henry thirty. Impossible but true, because Henry suffers from a rare condition where his genetic clock periodically resets and he finds himself pulled suddenly into his past or future. In the face of this force they can neither prevent nor control, Henry and Clare's struggle to lead normal lives is both intensely moving and entirely unforgettable.

 
Well this was a really tough book for me to write about, as I'm still so unsure about the book on a whole myself. I found that even though I enjoyed the first quarter of the book, I then became bored and was saying to myself "Ok, I get the point", then about 3/4 through the book I found I kept turning pages, but I have absolutely no idea why!! This is only a short review for me, but I really don't know what to say, the book on a whole never kept me gripped as other books had, whether that was because the story went on to long or I never completely connected with the characters. I read the book for my bookclub (on camp) and it was received with mixed feelings there too. Some really loved the book and others like myself unsure. On finishing the book, I felt I was left feeling empty with no real conclusion in my mind to what I felt.
 
So recommend or not?? I think if your on holiday in a cottage and you find its the only book left on the bookshelf, then pick it up and give it a read - you may enjoy it a lot more than me. But I wouldn't spend the (around) £5.00 on a new copy of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment